Bergen County Violent Crime Lawyer
Defending Clients Charged With Violent Crimes in New Jersey
The New Jersey criminal justice system views violent crimes as the worst crimes a person can commit. Judges and juries often hold the defendant in a biased, negative light when a violent crime case is brought to court. To help rebalance the scales of justice back to how they should be – unbiased and impartial – a reputable violent crime lawyer must be allowed to handle the case.
If you have been accused of a violent crime in New Jersey, call Law Offices of Joseph R. Donahue, LLC immediately. Our Bergen County violent crime attorney is always willing to hear the details of an inquiring client’s case for no fee during a free initial consultation. All you need to do is contact us today and let us know what has happened and the events leading up to your arrest.
Are you facing a violent crime charge in New Jersey? Call Law Offices of Joseph R. Donahue, LLC today at (201) 574-7919 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our violent crime attorney in Bergen County!
Why Hire Law Offices of Joseph R. Donahue, LLC?
You have your choice of defenders when you have been arrested for a violent crime – the Fifth Amendment will even get you access to a public defender – but you need to pick someone you know can handle the intricacies of your case and the aggression of the prosecution. Our Bergen County violent crime lawyer has the knowledge, know-how, and experience you need to have real confidence in your legal advocate for your case.
Some of our accolades and achievements include:
- Certified Criminal Trial Attorney by the Supreme Court of New Jersey
- 20+ years of legal and trial experience
- Former prosecutor with insight into your opposition’s strategies
- Selection to Super Lawyers® and Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- A long list of appreciative client testimonials
- The impressive history of successful case results
Types of Violent Crimes in New Jersey
As the title suggests, a violent crime must involve some form of violence, either as an act that is fulfilled or threatened. To stop violent behaviors, New Jersey’s criminal justice system frequently imposes steep penalties on anyone convicted of a violent crime, regardless of how clean their record might have been before the case began.
Criminal violations considered to be violent crimes include:
- Murder/homicide: Taking another’s life through intentional, premeditated means. Maximum penalties for murder include life imprisonment with no chance of parole.
- Manslaughter: Taking another’s life through recklessness, such as speeding through an intersection or without premeditation, is sometimes called a “crime of passion.”
- Aggravated assault: Using the excessive threat of force, fear, or intimidation to coerce another into doing something.
- Battery: Striking someone or otherwise causing them harm, often accompanied by at least one count of assault.
- Domestic violence: Physical or excessive emotional abuse directed towards a close friend or family member.
- Armed robbery: Wielding or brandishing a deadly weapon or an item that could reasonably be used to inflict harm to steal an item from another person.
What are the Penalties for Violent Crimes in New Jersey?
Penalties for violent crimes in New Jersey are severe and can have long-term consequences.
- Murder or homicide is the most serious charge and carries a sentence of up to life imprisonment without parole.
- Manslaughter is punishable by 10-30 years in prison, with a presumption of 25 years for non-aggravated cases, while aggravated manslaughter carries up to 30 years.
- Aggravated assault is a felony in New Jersey, and it can bring between 5-10 years of incarceration, depending on the severity of the case.
- Battery offenses can bring anywhere from 18 months – 3 years in jail if convicted.
- Domestic violence convictions can carry sentences including probation and community service, fines, anger management classes, and restraining orders.
- Armed robbery is a first-degree crime in New Jersey, and it carries 10-20 years of imprisonment with an extended period of parole ineligibility.
Violent crimes are serious offenses that can have lifelong implications for those convicted. It is essential to understand the laws applicable to your case and consult with an attorney as soon as possible if you face charges for a violent crime in New Jersey.
Common Violent Crime Defense Strategies
It is important to understand that the defense strategies used in violent crime cases can vary depending on the circumstances of each case. It is also essential to have an experienced lawyer who can review all the facts and evidence before deciding which strategy may be best for your situation. Some common defense strategies used in violent crime cases include self-defense, defense of others, alibi evidence, mistaken identity, and lack of intent. Self-defense can be used when a defendant claims the violence was done to protect themselves or another person from imminent harm. Defense of others involves claiming that the accused committed an act of violence to protect another person from harm. Alibi evidence can be used to show that the defendant was at another location when the crime occurred and could not have committed it. A mistaken identity may occur if there is evidence that someone else was responsible for the crime. Finally, lack of intent may be used as a defense if insufficient evidence proves that the accused intended to commit a violent act. Having an experienced lawyer to review your case and provide guidance can be invaluable.
Contact Our Bergen County Violent Crime Attorney Today
At Law Offices of Joseph R. Donahue, LLC, we are proud to be a trusted violent crime attorney in Bergen County. With years of experience, our team is highly qualified and dedicated to providing clients with the best legal representation for their cases. We understand that facing a violent crime charge can be overwhelming and stressful, so we strive to remain accessible, understanding, and prepared to provide the strongest defense. Our team is here to support you throughout your legal journey and help you understand the legal process every step of the way. If you or a loved one has been accused of a violent crime, reach out to our firm today so that we can start building a strong defense for your case.
Contact Law Offices of Joseph R. Donahue, LLC today to schedule a FREE consultation with our violent crime lawyer in Bergen County!
The best attorney I have ever met in my life. I was facing four felony gun charges and ended up paying a $100 fine with a ...- Patrick
He handled my case effectively. An outstanding lawyer who I will always recommend to my family and friends. He displays a lot ...- Recent Client
My experience was beyond amazing. I always thought going through the court process and finding a lawyer would be the hardest ...- Recent Client
Our son was arrested and charged with DUI in early December of 2015. We got a lawyer who helped us gather evidence (arrest ...- Anonymous Client
Dear Joseph: I wish to thank you and the staff for all of your efforts, professional knowledge and timeliness in performing ...- Criminal Client
As a Case Management Consultant, I have referred a number of clients to Mr. Donahue over the years. He is an outstanding ...- Advocacy Support Network LLC
Mr. Donahue defended me in DWI,it would have been my 3rd.I would have lost DL for ten years and 180 days in jail. I would ...- Ken
I am a legal consultant who works with many of the top criminal defense lawyers primarily in Northern and Central New Jersey. ...- Client
We always strive to put our clients in the best position possible, so our immediate goal is to obtain a case dismissal or acquittal. If this cannot be done, we seek to minimize the consequences by all legal means possible, perhaps by pursuing a plea agreement, which could include alternate sentencing that improves the impact on our client’s record. Our Bergen County criminal defense attorney is a resolute advocate who never hesitates to take a case to trial if it is in the best interests of our client. No matter how complex your charges may be, we have the proven expertise and passion to help you achieve a positive outcome. Discover how we can help you today.